Ambrosio's £124.99 Varo wheelset.
There is a certain delight, an almost perverse pleasure in neglecting gear or not showing much respect for kit when riding, of course we know it's wrong and a pretty stupid world view. But when we got our hands on a pair of Ambrosio Varo wheels we felt obliged to do the worst to them after all they are so inexpensive there must be catch and life expectancy must be it?
Ambrosio are no mugs when it comes to wheel building and they have a great history with their 'Roubaix' wheels having won a very long list of pave classic's over the years (many times disguised). Their carbon air slicers are top notch (review). Although on the heavy side and thus lacking the 'zip' of higher end wheels, the Varo's rolled well enough and didn't spoil our ride. Having put the wheels to the sword with little sympathy we found them to be robust, they stayed true despite the potholes we purposely hit and the hubs still run OK (they are serviceable).
The Ambrosio Varo wheels are an ideal winter, general training or commute wheelset, giving peace of mind and to be frank if you do ruin them a replacement pair will not break the bank.
The Ambrosio Varo wheelset are priced at £124.99. (per pair)
Despite our grimy pictures and the plastic hub covers the Varo's have nice graphics and look more expensive than they are.
The Ambrosio Varo wheelset feature Taiwan sourced hubs built onto home grown rims in Italy, are distributed by RSI in the UK.
- Rims: aluminium alloy,black anodised, height 23,7mm. Available for clincher tyres only.
- Spokes: black. 24 spokes for the front wheel, 14 pairs for the rear wheel.
- Hubs: Ambrosio cone shaped.
- Compatibility: front 100mm – rear 130mm. SHI/SRAM 8-9-10-11 / CAM 9-10-11.
- Rear: front wheel is radial mounted, the rear wheel is radial mounted (non-drive side) and two cross laced (drive side)
- Weights: front wheel 870g – rear wheel 1240g.